Saturday, July 16, 2011

Keegan & Tarik's Birthday Cake

For Keegan & Tarik's birthday I was challenged to make a dragon cake like one they saw in a picture at the Phoenix Zoo - only it had to be Gluten-Free & Vegan!

the inspiration

I had to make a few modifications, like a smaller tail and fewer eggs, to make room for the "Happy Birthday" salutation. I also added a second wing; the original picture only showed one, which seemed strange to me. I've never heard of a one-winged dragon. ;-)



view from the top, before I added the second wing
the entire thing is edible: the dragon's body and head are made of cake, covered in vegan fondant



guarding her eggs...
the cake beneath is a 10-inch double-layer chocolate cake with mocha no-buttercream filling



the eggs were made of vegan fondant


To round everything out, and make sure there was enough cake for the birthday party guests, I made two dozen chocolate cupcakes, topped with no-buttercream, and a fondant dragon egg.


some were pink-hued



some mostly green



others were brown & orange



This was a fun and challenging cake. Happy Birthday Keegan & Tarik!

3 comments: