Thursday, January 20, 2011

A Very Dairy-Free Birthday


Today is my friend Michelle's birthday, and she asked me to make her a simple cake with chocolate. Lots and lots of chocolate.  I was extremely happy to comply!  Michelle's situation is unique in that neither she nor her son can eat dairy, so no part of this creation could contain any milk, butter, or milk solids whatsoever.  

The result is something I like to call Dairy-Free Decadence:








Please excuse the chair in the background... ;-)

This is a double layer chocolate cake with dark chocolate mousse filling, chocolate "buttercream", and dark chocolate curls and deco.  I used a simple vegan chocolate cake recipe that I know I can rely on, using whole wheat pastry flour; canola oil was the fat source. The inner mousse layer is dark chocolate, granulated sugar, and eggs.  The chocolate "buttercream" is also vegan, using organic, non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening, almond milk, powdered sugar, and of course, chocolate. 

The chocolate curls and deco I made myself out of dark chocolate. 


5 comments:

  1. Omigoodness! It's absolutely gorgeous and it looks to-die-for delicious. Great job! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks awesome! My daughter saw the picture and said (about 4 times in a row) CAN I HAVE THAT FOR MY BIRTHDAY??? - Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  3. O.M.G. I want that for my dairy-free b-day. You're officially booked for April 30th.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds soooo yummy! Is there any corn or soy in this recipe? If not, how much do you charge to make one of these cuz I would totally order one for my niece! She NEVER gets chocolate cuz she is allergic to dairy, corn and soy :(

    ReplyDelete